Sunday 8 March 2020

Happy Days | Dust It Off Challenge | March Homemade Kit


Hi everyone!
I'm back again today with another layout for my "Dust It Off" challenge. This time my layout was created from a kit that I put together from my stash. The kit was inspired by a list published by Khristina Sorge (from Redefined Kreative and The Secret Not Secret Kit Club) as part of her "For the Love of Homemade Kits" series on YouTube. 

Here's the March kit contents list...


And this is the kit I put together...


I used a mix of papers from Cocoa Vanilla Studio; Glitz Designs; Studio Calico; Kaisercraft; My Little Shoebox; Pink Paislee and Hambly Screenprints. The embellishments included Prima chipboard; Pebbles 'Patio Party' by Jen Hadfield stickers and die cuts; Jillibean Soup stickers; a D-lish Scraps "Just Add Paper" kit; assorted clips; wood veneer hearts; some AC Thickers; and Cocoa Vanilla alphas. For the mixed media component I grabbed a small set of Gelatos and some old Glimmermist sprays. To complete my kit I added two old punches and two barely used roller stamps. Hopefully I will be able to create quite a few pages with my kit throughout month - I will keep you posted!

I was really excited to dive into my "new" kit, and thought I would start by pairing it with the photo of the girls and I taken during our recent scrappy weekend away...


I did begin by pulling one item from my stash - the white cardstock for my background. I used the 'Bahama Blue' Glimmermist to add a soft watercolour wash to the page first, then added splatters of 'Key Lime' over the top. 

Next, I created a stack of assorted papers, using a strip of the black and white print as an anchor point (and to coordinate with the photo); then focused on the aqua / mint tones over the top before stapling them all down onto the page. I then cut a couple of small pieces of the heart print Hambly transparency and tucked it into my layers.


 Now it was time to turn my attention to the embellishments. I began with the roll of leafy washi tape from the D-lish kit, adding some torn strips around my page for a little splash of green. I then cut three yellow floral pieces from a Sassafras Lass foldies sheet and tucked them in amongst the paper layers (to form a visual triangle around where my photo was going to be).


To place my photo, I first adhered some scrap cardboard on the back, then I arranged the floral stem from the D-lish kit to tuck around the corner and trail from under the top before sticking them both down on the page.

I then began to cluster embellishments around my photo including a couple of the Prima chipboard stickers; some daisies from a strip of daisy lace; flat and puffy stickers; and a flair button. 


On the corner of my photo I added a small cluster comprised of a gold geo tag paperclip; a leafy sticker and the word hooray that was actually cut from the branding strip of one of the papers.

For my page title, I used one of the Jillibean Soup word stickers mixed with the tiny alphas from the Cocoa Vanilla Studio alphabet sheet. 


I finished off my layout by using one of the roller stamps to add the hello sunshine phrase around my page using Archival Ink; then added a few of the small wood veneer hearts and my handwritten details. 

This layout was super fun to create with my homemade kit and I am so happy with how it all came together. (And now I can't wait to make something else with it!) If you would like to join me and bust some of your own stash, I would highly recommend using Khristina's kit recipe as a guide to create your own - it was a perfect prompt to help me continue on my mission to "Dust It Off". 
Until next time, happy scrapping! X 

No comments: