Monday 16 March 2020

Congrats | Dust It Off Challenge | March Homemade Kit


Hi friends!
Today I have another layout to share for my Dust It Off challenge that I created using my March homemade kit. (In case you missed it, you can see my kit in this post HERE) That takes my tally with this kit to three so far - which is awesome! 

For this page, I decided to document some photos of my siblings and I celebrating my older sister's birthday last year. And, thanks to my brother's shirt and my hair, it seemed like purple needed to be one of the feature colours. 

Here is my layout...
(Click on photos for a better view)


I had the perfect paper in this kit - an old one from the Studio Calico 'Lemon Lush' collection paper pad that featured a colour gradient ranging from purple through to orange. I also wanted to include some mixed media though, as I hadn't used any of the Gelatos I had included in the kit. My solution was to create a watercolour wash on some white cardstock using the purple Gelato, then add a strip of the patterned paper down the side of the page. (Best of both worlds, right?) Using this strip design also gave me a solid anchor point to create the focal area of my page. 


I then took a few pieces of some of the other papers from the kit and cut a variety of shapes and sizes to form a layered mat for my photos. I also tucked in a small paper doily and some pieces of one of the Hambly Screen prints transparencies, before I stapled the bundle together and secured it onto my page. I then added some messy black cotton before popping my photos down on top.


Now it was time to embellish my layout. I started by reaching for the Pebbles 'Patio Party' by Jen Hadfield die cuts, as I thought there would be several pieces that would work for this birthday themed page. The first piece I pulled was that fabulous black and white striped balloon, as it matched perfectly with my younger sister's top. I also grabbed a cute cake and the party this way arrow; as well as a matching floral bouquet from the coordinating sticker sheet. I then clustered them all together and placed them to the right of my photos, adding foam tape under some of them to add some dimension.


On the other side of my photos I created a second cluster using a floral die cut and another cake, which I topped with number fabric Thickers from my kit to make 50. (These were so old I had to use glue on the back because the adhesive was no longer any good. 

I then balanced things out by adding a third small cluster using yet another floral piece, and a small banner. (Even though the banner featured fruit pieces - kinda weird, but he, whatever works to make it feel festive, right?)


Next, I needed a title and the gold word congrats from the 'Patio Party' puffy sticker pack was perfect. To tie it in, I also added a couple of other coordinating puffy floral stickers to my embellishment clusters. 
To finish off, I used one of the Dear Lizzy roller stamps and black ink to stamp some phrases around the page. I also added some tiny splatters of the 'Black Cherry' Glimmermist; then larger splatters of gold Heidi Swapp Color Shine that I pulled from my stash. 
And with that I was done - three pages down from my kit!

I am really hoping to have a process video available for my next kit page - wish me luck that the tech gremlins don't interfere with my plans again!
Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: