Monday 1 June 2020

Epic Wish | Cocoa Vanilla Studio June Challenge


Hi friends!
I am super excited to be sharing this with you today - Cocoa Vanilla Studio now has a new monthly challenge that will be held in our Cocoa Vanilla Studio Community group on Facebook. (Yay!) Each month the design team will take turns to collate a mood board to be used as inspiration and I am so happy to say the June mood board was put together by me!

Here's a look at my "Rustic Trails" board...


And here is the layout I created that was inspired by the board...


I decided to draw on the travel theme that was represented in the board by documenting a selfie I took at the Grand Canyon. This was taken at the moment I first walked up to the edge, and was a moment I had dreamt of for most of my life. The Grand Canyon had long been #1 on my travel wish list, so to finally be standing there was almost beyond belief (and may have even caused me to shed a few tears). 


I began my layout with the wood grain paper from the 'Legendary' collection, which was inspired by the image of the gorgeous timber table on the board. (I love this paper so much!) I then set about adding some paper layers. First, a piece of the map print, which is the reverse side of the wood grain on the Outdoors Type paper. I trimmed down a rectangle shape so that there was only a little green showing and it was largely the warm, earthy orange tone I was looking for.


Continuing on with the wood theme, I used the white wood grain paper from the 'Wild at Heart' collection to mat my photo. I added a second layer, again using a paper from 'Wild at Heart', that featured a pretty blue watercolour to tie in with the blue sky in my photo. I also tucked a grey doily into my layers before stapling the stack together and sticking it onto the page. To add some texture, I added frayed gauze, then stuck my photo down on top. 


Now it was time to draw in those beautiful rustic flowers from the board by adding some fussy cut floral pieces. I used a floral paper (again from 'Wild at Heart'), and tucked them in under the edges of my photo to frame it. 

At this point, I really wanted to add an extra floral element, and I also wanted to draw in the white from the board, so I used the beautiful 'Bouquet' cut file from Cut to You. This is a fairly large piece, so I actually cut it into sections so I could tuck it into my layers and add to the diagonal flow of the page. I topped the cut file with a couple of vellum flowers from the 'Love Always' collection.


Now it was time for some smaller embellishments. First my page needed a title, so I used the word EPIC from the 'Legendary' die cut tile words combined with the wood veneer word wish from the 'Make a Wish' collection. I really wanted to draw in the hearts from the board, so I also added a few wood veneer hearts from the same pack, a Charms Creations handmade heart and a few white cardstock hearts I had left over from previous cut files. 


I found the perfect flair button in my stash to pop on top of the Charms heart, which came from the 'Made of Awesome' collection. (This boy collection is no longer available in physical form, but you can purchase it as a digital bundle to print and cut yourself at home HERE)

I finished off with some splatters of gold Heidi Swapp Color Shine and some splatters of 13Arts white acrylic ink. (And yes, some of them got on the photo but I don't care - I was standing in the snow anyway!)

If you would like to watch this page come together you can check out my process video on my YouTube channel here:


That's all from me today. If you love the look of my "Rustic Trails" mood board and would like to join our challenge, make sure you are a member of the Cocoa Vanilla Studio Community group. Simply upload your entry into the challenge album there to go in the running for a $25 store voucher.
Happy scrapping! X

1 comment:

Lyne Blodgett said...

I am in love with this board and the paper you used at the background. Thank you so much for the inspiration.