Tuesday 9 June 2020

Everyday Ordinary Life | Scrap the Girls June challenge



Hi everyone!
I am popping in today to share my take on the June challenge at Scrap the Girls. This month the challenge is a sketch (which was designed by ME) called "Welcome to the Party", and it looks like this...


And here is my take on it...
(Click on photos for a better view)


When it came to tackling the sketch, I aimed to incorporate the main structures of the sketch which were the vertical and rectangular elements; multiple photos; and embellishments placed to the left, but I used a mixed media background to achieve a more organic overall look. 


I began with my background which was leftover from a bubble painting session I did a little while ago. It was created using a mixture of acrylic paint and dish soap and I just knew the look of all those cells would help soften the structure of the page. Not to mention they immediately make me think of science, which is perfect for a school themed layout. I added further detail by stamping with a jumbled text stamp over the top.

For the papers and embellishments I dug into my precious Vicki Boutin stash, using the Color Kaleidoscope collection. I had already printed my photos in black and white, so aside from working with the blue on the background, I knew I had free run with my colour choices. The first thing I did was look through the collection and gather a few things that I thought would work for the theme of the page.


I started by creating the vertical elements as the base for my page using a piece of paper with patterned strips on it, a small grid print paper bag, and a border sticker featuring arrows. These formed the anchor for my design and gave me a point to build on. I then layered the larger square and rectangular pieces over the top, adding a small paper doily and some frayed gauze, before placing my photos on top.


For the embellishments I used a selection of die cuts from the ephemera pack which I tucked in around my page using the sketch as a rough guide for placement. To the left of the photos I added a Charms Creations handmade star embellishment, which I topped with a cute typewriter flair button. 


For my page title I chose the everyday ordinary life sticker, which I popped up from the page using foam tape. I also added the large die cut arrow to help draw the eye into the action in the main photo - where my daughter and our cat were both using the touch pad on her laptop together (so cute!) I then added my handwritten journalling, stamped the date, and added a few black ink splatters and I was done!

If you would like to play along with us at Scrap the Girls this month and have a go at my sketch I would love to see what you create! Our Aussie sponsor this month is the lovely Paige from BeeArty, and for our international players, our new sponsor Tanya Leigh Designz
Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: