Monday 15 February 2021

Buzz Off | Kitaholic Kits February 2021

 

Hi friends, today I am sharing the second of my February projects created for Kitaholic Kits. For this layout, I was drawn to use the beautiful floral print paper from Crate Paper and decided to combine it with some of the subscriber exclusive floral printables and paints from the January kit. I love being able to mix items across kits, and it certainly helps you to get the most out of them. 


As you can see, I decided to make my cat Genghis the star of the show for this page. (I knew this photo of him would make it onto a page one day when I took it! haha) I was inspired to choose this photo by one of the items from the Jen Hadfield ephemera pack  - the bee hive! When I saw the bee hive and the little bees, the phrase 'buzz off" came to mind and I thought of this picture instantly.


I began my page with a couple of the Kaisercraft acrylic paints from the January mixed media add-on kit. I wanted to try and match one of the tones of the flowers from the floral paper, so I mixed the Mango and Dusky Pink together until I had the shade I was after. I then used my wide #4 brush to dry brush some paint across my cardstock, which was cut down to 11x11" and mounted onto the floral paper. (I had already cut the centre from the patterned paper so that I could use some of it on the rest of the page.)


Once the paint was dry, I added some paper layers using a mix of papers from the kit and a paper doily from my stash. I cut a long banner shape from the floral print paper and ran it horizontally across the page where I was planning to place the photo. This would help draw the viewer's eye to the photo. I added texture to the page by distressing the paper edges using my distress tool and by using frayed gauze under my photo.


For my embellishments, I began with the bee hive from the Jen Hadfield ephemera pack as it was going to be my "hero" embellishment. I placed it down in the bottom right corner of my photo and began building my cluster from there. I added a mix of fussy cut flowers from the December subscriber exclusive printables. I used foam tape between some of my floral layers for dimension and added one of the sweet little die cut bees as well. 


I created a second embellishment cluster along the left edge of my photo, using the same elements as I had for the first. Then balanced my page my creating a smaller third cluster above my photo. This gave me the "visual triangle" I was looking for. Then it was simply a matter of my final finishing touches.

I used some of the American Crafts Thickers for the kit to create my title. (I was very excited to use up two Z's and two F's in the one title!) From the Heidi Swapp sticker book I included the this is my happy place sticker, and also a circular label that I used for my journalling. A few stamped phrases and the date,a few black splatters and I was done! 

If you would like to see exactly how this all came together (and listen to me waffling on), you can watch me create this page in my process video here: 


Thanks so much for stopping by so I could share this with you. Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: