Wednesday 10 February 2021

Awesome Kid | Cocoa Vanilla Studio

 

Hi everyone, today I am sharing my take on the recent “school” theme I was tasked with for Cocoa Vanilla Studio. For my layout, I decided to document a photo of one of my boys with the academic award he received at the end of last year. This was the first time he had ever received an award like this, and it was a very big deal for him (and only came after a big attitude adjustment and a lot of hard work). I knew the ‘Boys Rule’ collection would be perfect to coordinate with the colours of my photo.


I began this layout with the printed backing sheet from the Large Die Cut and Backing Kit. I had already used the die cut top piece in a separate project, so I had this left over in my stash. I was drawn to use it because of the blackboard style print, with the doodled chalk border around the edge. As I only wanted to use the border part for my background, I cut the centre from the page and kept it aside for some fussy cutting later. I then got to work on some white cardstock that I had cut down to measure 10.5×10.5″.


I added colour to my background by swiping an ink pad to create vertical stripes on the page, then used a wide brush dipped in water to blend the ink out. I then used a stencil with a random spot pattern and grey ink to layer detail over the top.

For my paper layers, I used a combination that included the star print Happy Go Lucky; Expressionist; and a fabulous pop of green from the Straight & Narrow. I used torn edges and frayed gauze to add texture to the page.


When it came to embellishments, I used pieces (tag, label, frame) from the Die Cut Ephemera and Miscellany packs; as well as some stars that I fussy cut from the backing sheet I had begun my layout with.


I used an arrow from the Chipboard Pieces pack to help draw attention to my photo; and added a metallic touch by using some staples around the page. My title was a combination of the die cut word kid from the ephemera pack combined with awesome cut from the cut apart paper.


I used the Clear Stickers to scatter some phrases around the page, and three black crosses from the sheet too. I stamped a little extra detail on the background using a stamp with a random circles and dots pattern (similar to the stencil pattern) and finished off by stamping the date.

I am really happy with how this layout came together, and I hope I have given you some inspiration to create your own page to document some of those school photos, or even just a boy layout.

If you would like to watch me put this one together, I have a process video available:


Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: