Saturday 8 May 2021

Fresh Cut | Kitaholic Kits May 2021


Hi everyone,
Today I have a mixed media layout to share for Kitaholic Kits using the new May 2021 kit and mixed media add-on kit. For this page I was documenting some photos of one of my boys that I took just after he got his haircut; which I had collaged together to form a 4x4" square. Taking my colour cue from the photos, where the green grass in the background was the dominant colour, I decided to create a layout with green as the dominant colour.


So I began my page with a sheet of 300gsm white cardstock and some acrylic paints. The first one I started with was a Heritage Green from Kaisercraft. I used my Kmart silicone spatula to spread the paint over the background, then applied Mont Marte Titanium White over the top using a brayer to strip the colour back a bit in places. This also provided me an area where I could add some stencilling using one of the Vicki Boutin stencils and the green gel crayon.


The stencil I chose had (what I describe as) a basket weave style pattern, and I applied the colour of the gel crayon through it using a stencil brush. (You can see exactly how I do it in my process video below.) In addition to the stencilling, I also added some extra detail to my background using navy ink and some floral stamps from the Pink Paislee stamp set that is included in the main kit. 


For my paper layers, I used a mix of different paper from the Heidi Swapp Carefree collection from the main kit. I layered a few pieces that I had torn and distressed, along with a white paper doily that was also from the kit. On top of the paper layers I added some frayed gauze before sticking my photos on top.


For my page title, I used the raw chipboard Thickers from the kit, which I coloured using Chipped Sapphire Distress Oxide, then added some stamped detail using one of the leafy stamps from the Pink Paislee stamp set. I love the way this tied them into the background detail. 


For my embellishments, I kept things relatively simple due to the how busy the layout was already from the papers and background. To the left of my photos I placed a handmade heart embellishment from Charms Creations, which I topped with a Heidi Swapp sticker and a few staples. I also added a few more stickers and pieces from the coordinating ephemera pack, including a phrase along the bottom and a tab above the photos; a small rainbow and some chevrons. I used a label for my journalling, adding simple handwritten details with a felt pen. 


I really love how this layout turned out, and despite how detailed it may appear, it came together pretty easily. If you would like to see how I put it together, you can watch my process video here:


If you do pop over to watch my video, I would love it if you could give me thumbs up, leave me a comment or subscribe to my channel while you are there. Having people interact with my content helps me to build my channel profile and it's also great to know that you like what I do and want to see more.

Thanks for stopping by today, and for everyone who continues to support me. Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: