Saturday 15 February 2020

Best Friends | Dust it Off Challenge


Hi everyone!
Back with another "just because" layout to share with you today. (I know, right?!) 
You may have seen my layout from last week that was inspired after watching a Facebook live from Vicki Boutin as she was creating watercolour backgrounds? (You can see the post with my layout HERE) After using Vicki's 'Color Kaleidoscope' collection for that one, I was inspired to create again whilst I still had it sitting out.

Here's what I created...
(Click on photos for a better view)


As I mentioned in my post last week, I don't have any VB mixed media supplies (yet!), so I had to make do with my current supplies. (If I use them I can totally justify any new purchases, right?!) One of my most under-used mixed media supplies is definitely my big set of Faber-Castell gelatos, so I thought it might be time to give them a workout. 

I began with a sheet of white cardstock as my background, and started by using the gelatos as a watercolour. To do this, I simply scribbled onto my non-stick craft mat, added a spritz of water to mix, and then moved my cardstock around over the top, touching it to pick up the colour as I went. Once I had finished with the first colour (teal), I went back and repeated the process with a light green.


Next, I grabbed a couple of small StencilGirl stencils from my stash. The first was a script style one called Rembrandt's Words. I love the large, loose font on this stencil, that was inspired by flowing script straight from an old ink pen. The second stencil is one of my absolute faves that I use often, and is called Organized Chaos, inspired by Van Gogh's "The Starry Night" painting. 

I chose to use my gelatos again, this time using a dry application method. To do this, I scribbled a small amount onto my non-stick craft mat and then used a stencil brush to pick up the pigment and brush it through the stencils. (I used a dark green and a dark blue.)


Next it was time for some papery fun! I already had a half sheet of paper from my previous layout with this collection, so I decided to make use of it first. I trimmed the edge off to shorten it, then tore it into a few strips. I used the pattern with the abstract circles for the main piece, then flipped the others over to show the contrasting green pattern on the reverse. I then layered them together and stuck them down on the page to provide my anchor point.


To make further use of the paper scraps I had left, I fussy cut a few of the coloured circles and tucked them in around the edges. I then created additional layers using patterned tissue paper and a small paper doily, before placing my photo on top. 


To embellish my page I used a mixture of the coordinating die cuts and stickers. I positioned my title alongside the photo and used the bold red arrow sticker (popped up on a little foam tape) to draw the eye into the subject. 

My handwritten journalling was added in the bottom right corner of the layout, which also helped create a natural diagonal flow through my page. 


To finish off, I added some small splatters of black ink and then some larger splotches using pink ink. I love the broad, eclectic mix of colours in this collection and hope to have another mixed media layout using it to share soon. 

I think I might make my own challenge to focus on using some neglected supplies from my stash and name it the #dustitoff challenge. If there is anything in particular you would like to see me use, or if you have any questions, please let me know in the comments. 

That's all from me today, thanks so much for stopping by. 
Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: