Saturday 22 February 2020

Escape the Ordinary | Dust it Off Challenge


Hi everyone!
Today I am back to share another layout for my #dustitoff challenge. (If you missed my previous post explaining what this is all about, you can read it HERE) For this layout, I began by assessing my stash to find something to "dust off" and work with.

Here is what I chose...


 My (very neglected) Big Shot, and some metal dies. At this point I had no idea what I was going to create, so I just pulled out a few that appealed to me. I also decided to use the Vicki Boutin 'Color Kaleidoscope' collection (again) because I still hadn't packed it away and I was enjoying using it.  So I pulled out my photo box, found a photo of my sister and I, and set to work.

I started with my page background. I decided to go with a patterned paper background for this one, rather than mixed media as I was keen to get to my challenge items. I chose the beautiful "Look Up" paper, which featured pretty blue / pink / purple tones and clouds that worked well with my photo. (I immediately thought that it would be perfect to use with the sun die as well.) 

Here's a look at the entire page...
(Click on photos for a better view)


Now if you are anything like me, another item you probably have in abundance in your stash (but don't use much) is cardstock. Specifically, coloured cardstock. As this was my Dust it Off challenge, I thought what better time than to put some of it to use. I grabbed a sheet of pale yellow and cut three of the Stitched Suns using the die from Uniquely Creative.


I used a navy sheet from the 'Color Kaleidoscope' 6x8" paper pad as the anchor point for my design, then sat my photo on top (not stuck down) and began building my layers from there. I used the tag dies to cut a couple of tags from different patterned papers, which I tied with twine and tucked in alongside my photo. I decided to run the suns vertically down my page on the other side of my photo, so I added a couple of narrow paper strips first to help ground them to the page. I mirrored this element by adding some strips below my photo as well, including the row of birds that was fussy cut from another of the 6x8" papers.


At this point I decided to make a little change to my background, and add some cardstock behind the paper. I trimmed off a small amount along the top and right side of the patterned paper and mounted a sheet of Kraft behind it. This created a border on the left edge and along the bottom of the layout and helped tie in the kraft coloured elements on the page. (It also meant I was getting stuff USED!)


To balance out the row of suns on the right side of my page, I created an embellishment cluster to the left of my photo using a die cut and stickers. I adore that holographic foil heart on the today sticker, which I popped up from the background using foam tape. 

I also used a couple of small round stickers with foam tape under them on top of my suns; and a round die cut for my journalling over the centre one. My title came from the escape the ordinary sticker I placed above my photo.


I was really happy with how this one came out, and even happier that I managed to dust off my Big Shot; some dies; and use up some coloured cardstock!

Don't forget if you have any suggestions for anything you would like to see me use, leave me a comment and I will add it to my list. If you would like to play along with me, please use the #dustitoffchallenge hashtag on Instagram to share your own creations so I can see yours too!
Until next time, happy scrapping! X 

No comments: