Saturday 8 February 2020

My Kind of Day ~ a mixed media layout


Hi everyone!
Popping in quickly with a bonus share for you - hot off my desk! I watched Vicki Boutin on her Friday night Facebook live (Saturday morning our time) as she was creating some beautiful watercolour backgrounds. I found it really inspiring, and being a wet, miserable day here, I decided to pull out some of my own supplies and spend some time creating too. Unfortunately I don't actually have any of Vicki's mixed media products (as much as I would love them!), so I just used what I had on hand in my stash.

Here's what I created...
(Click on photos for a better view)


On a sheet of heavyweight white cardstock I started by applying some yellow watercolour (made by mixing Colour Blast by Bee Arty 'Sunflower' Colour Shimmer Dust with water) and painted it onto the page with a wide brush. If you have followed me for some time, you will already know how much I love my wide brushes. (The one I used for this was a #4, which measures 2 inches across.) 


I then added some green watercolour, which I just "smooshed" over the top - straight from my messy mat. (I used 'Lush' Colour Shimmer Dust also mixed with water.) Next, I added some darker green splats and splatters, using 'Mowed Lawn' Colour Artist Ink and a brush.I also tipped my page up, which allowed some of the pooled ink to run down. 

I couldn't stop at that for my background though, so my next step was to grab a stencil and some Colour Blast by Bee Arty 'Envy' Colour Paste. The stencil I used was called 'Leafy Doodle Border' from StencilGirl, and I simply moved it around the page to apply the paste using a palette knife. I then allowed it to dry before adding some stamping using my 'Doodle Dots' stamp from Viva Las VegaStamps and black ink.


Now it was time for some papery layers! Fortunately I do have some of Vicki's papercraft products, so I chose the 'Colour Kaleidoscope' collection to work with. First I added some small pieces of torn washi tape from my stash; then I layered pieces of patterned paper (both cut and torn to provide contrasting textures); as well as a paper doiley and some messy black cotton thread. I then added my photo on top, using some scrap cardboard behind it to pop it up from the page.



To embellish my page I used Ephemera pieces from both the Icons and Frames & Journaling packs. I also added the label and number stickers to the top edge of photo - both from the 'Color Kaleidoscope' Sticker Book.  The small celebrate phrase sticker was from the Cardstock Sticker pack, and I finished with the die cut My Kind of Day phrase from the Frames & Journal pack and some handwritten journalling. 

That's all from me today, I hope you are also inspired to create something with some of your own mixed media supplies!
Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: