Monday 22 March 2021

Totally Awesome Dudes | Cocoa Vanilla Studio

 


Hi everyone, popping in today to share my latest design team project for Cocoa Vanilla Studio. This one was created for the regular Throwback Thursday feature, where a member of the team creates something new using an older Cocoa Vanilla collection (or two). The purpose of this regular feature is to help inspire everyone to continue using up what they already have in their stash.

For this project I decided to create a boy-themed layout, as I get lots of requests for boy pages, so I dug into my stash of both the ‘Boys Rule’ and ‘Legendary’ collections for an epic mash-up of the two. I love the way they combined for this layout, and I hope you do too!


I started my layout with the mandala-style print of the Explorer paper from the ‘Legendary’ collection as my page base. I then added a small amount of dark grey acrylic paint using a wide brush to help define the focal area of my page. My aim for this layout was to stick with a largely monochromatic palette of black / white / grey, with a pop of one colour, and I chose yellow. I love this colour combination for boys, as it’s a great change away from the traditional blues & greens that are often used for masculine pages.


I added a large piece of the Wild One patterned paper with the gorgeous yellow print in the centre of my page, which provided me with the big pop of colour I was looking for. I used a torn edge to add texture to the page and tucked a smaller piece of the Straight & Narrow striped paper from ‘Boys Rule’ under it. I double matted my photo using the Happy Go Lucky and Messed Up papers (also from ‘Boys Rule’) and added some scrap cardboard under it to pop it up from the page.


My title was the next element I tackled, as I knew I wanted it to fill the space beside my photo. I used a combination of the ‘Boys Rule’ Clear Stickers and ‘Legendary’ Die Cut Titles – because I love a good mixed font title!


For my embellishments, I created three clusters to form a visual triangle. The main cluster was at the bottom right corner of my photo, and consisted of a handmade star embellishment from Charms Creations, which I topped with one of the ‘Boys Rule’ Flair Buttons. I also added a die cut banner along the bottom edge of my photo and some gold twisted wire which I stapled to the page.


For my remaining embellishments I used a mix of ‘Legendary’ Die Cut Ephemera pieces; a few ‘Boys Rule’ Accessory Stickers and some of the ‘Legendary’ Enamel Dots. Then I finished off my page with some black ink splatters.


If you would like to see exactly how this layout came together, you can watch my process video here:


Thanks for stopping by today so I could share this with you. Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: