Saturday 29 September 2018

"Beautiful Disaster" Canvas Class - Scrap & Chat Retreat


Hi everyone!
Just popping in with a project share and a quick wrap up of the class I taught last month at the annual Scrap & Chat retreat in the Dandenong Ranges near Melbourne. (If you have never been on a retreat, let me tell you that there is nothing that compares to being around 60 like-minded people for a weekend full of creating. So good for the soul!)

I had so much fun teaching my class to all these gorgeous ladies...


The piece I taught was a mixed media canvas panel, entitled "Beautiful Disaster" and it was a great opportunity to fly the flag for a number of my favourite brands including Colour Blast, Cocoa Vanilla Studio, Flutterby Designs and StencilGirl.


The canvas was was coloured with my favourite Colour Blast product - Colour Artist Inks, and we used the warm tones of Slipper, Cranberry, Cider and Citrus for the background; then the cool blue colour of Oasis for adding some contrasting highlights. 




Besides the Colour Artist Inks, we also used one of my other favourite Colour Blast products - Colour Paste. We used Deep Water for contrast and texture, applied through a Flutterby Designs stencil (although there were a couple of ladies who used Lovely Lilac from my stash because we thought it would work better with the pieces they had created). 


We also used Colour Blast black and white heavy gessos on the canvases - using the white to strip back colour and offer the eye a place to rest; and black to add contrast and tie in with the StencilGirl 'Talaya: Goddess of Rain' stencilled image and the Flutterby Designs quote. This was probably the messiest part of the class as I encouraged everyone to test my motto that "fingers make the best brushes" - so fun! 


We finished off the canvases with some 'Bohemian Dream' vellum accent embellishments from Cocoa Vanilla Studio. The gorgeous colours of the printed vellum die cuts worked beautifully with the tones of the inks and paste. 


I so enjoyed the opportunity to fly the flag for some of my favourite products and to share my love of mixed media with such a lovely group of ladies. Thanks to everyone who attended!

If you would like me to come and teach at your local scrapbook store or event, I am happy to discuss your requirements and see if we can make it work. You can email me via the contact tab at the top of the page.
Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: