Thursday 2 July 2020

Live in the Moment | Cocoa Vanilla Studio


Hi everyone!
I know things have been a bit quiet around here, I have been super busy the past couple of weeks with lots happening with my boys' birthday, school holidays, etc. So today I thought I would kick off my catch up with a mixed media layout I created for Cocoa Vanilla Studio as part of the recent scraplift theme that our team did. For this theme we were challenged to choose a layout from all the International Scrapbook Day challenge entries to inspire us to create our own version. There were so many amazing layouts I found it really hard to choose, but I kept coming back to this super cool page by Rachel Dutko...


There were so many elements I just loved about this page - the textures of the torn, layered papers; the eclectic mix of embellishments; the use of white space; and the touch of mixed media - it just drew me in. For my scraplift, I really wanted to capture some of Rachel's main design features, whilst still creating a layout that was my own style. I even decided to re-visit one of my all-time favourite collections, 'Bohemian Dream'.

Here is my layout...
(Click on photos for better view)


I decided to create my page with a similar theme to Rachel's, by documenting a selfie and focusing on the message of being yourself and unique. (This pic probably accurately represents me...haha) I then grabbed some white cardstock and added a splash of colour, just as Rachel had on hers. I used blue and purple Distress Oxides, which I mixed with a little water and then applied to my cardstock to achieve an abstract watercolour background.


Next, I chose three patterned papers, which I tore and layered across my page. The papers I used were Dreamer; Gypsy Heart; and Abstract. I also added a few torn pieces of a washi tape sticker from the 'You Rock' collection and an extra paper strip cut from the reverse of the Dreamer paper.

Just as Rachel did, I used two layers of paper to mat my photo (these were from the 'Bohemian Dream' 6x6" paper pad); along with a small yellow paper doily and some frayed gauze for texture. I then began working on the embellishments to cluster around my photo. 


I had a sheet of the gorgeous floral print Abundant paper that I had already cut into previously, so I fussy cut three floral pieces to tuck into the layers around my photo, adding a couple of extra little leafy branches from the Die Cut Ephemera pack. 

Then it was time for a little stash-busting treasure hunt as I looked through my stash of Cocoa Vanilla embellishments for some extra bits and pieces. I found a couple of gorgeous blue paper flowers I had left over from the 'Hello Sunshine' collection that matched with my blue ink perfectly, so I added those to my clusters, tucking the edges under my photo. I also found some cute little blue puffy stickers from the same collection, so onto the page they went too. 


The one of a kind Flair Button that I added to the corner of my photo was from the 'Bohemian Dream' pack, and was perfect for my page theme! The small mint acrylic heart was left-over from the 'Free Spirit' collection; and I also used some blue enamel dots from 'Life is Beautiful'

Rachel had some pretty little butterflies on her page, so I had to include some on mine too. (I know, since when do I need an excuse for butterflies, right?!) I added a blue one from the 'Bohemian Dream' chipboard near the top of the page; then a smaller pink one from the Die Cut Ephemera pack near to the bottom. 


To finish off, I added the live in the moment sticker for my page title (popped up on a little foam tape), and a few small phrases from the Accessory Sticker sheet. A little splatter of some navy mist and I was done. 

A big thanks to Rachel for inspiring me with her fabulous layout, I am really happy with how mine came out. (Even though I am clearly incapable of showing the same level of restraint that I so admired about Rachel's page...haha)
Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: