Tuesday 19 May 2020

Super Silly Fun | Cocoa Vanilla Studio

 

Hi everyone! Just wanted to pop in and share a recent layout I created for Cocoa Vanilla Studio. For this layout I was tasked with incorporating the theme of “sewing”, which gave me a great excuse to dust off my sewing machine and put it to good use. I decided to use the ‘Legendary’ collection for my page and pair it with a series of photos of my boys and hubby having some fun with a swing at the park.


I started with a sheet of white cardstock that I cut down to measure 11×11″, and then mounted it against the fabulous rainbow stripe of the Wild One paper. I chose this paper as my base as I really wanted to coordinate with all the colours that were present in my photos. It also opened up a broad colour scheme for the papers I was going to use on my page.


For my design I knew I wanted something fun with lots of colour and a feeling of movement to echo the action in the photos, so I decided to create a large banner. Once I had decided where my photos were going to sit on the page, it was simply a matter of cutting an assortment of different sized paper pieces for the sections of the banner. (The papers I used included All Star; Total Legend; Wild One; Offbeat; and Explorer.) I then used a small amount of glue to tack the pieces lightly in place before I used my sewing machine to stitch down the middle of a few of them.


I then tacked the photos lightly in place before adding several lines of stitching back and forth across the top to represent the string of the banner and hold them firmly in place. (I deliberately left all the loose threads hanging intact, as they added to the texture of the page.) I then went back and bent up the tails of the banner pieces, as well as the bottom edges of my photos so they would look as though they were blowing in the breeze. Now it was time for some embellishments!


I started by tucking the large circular frame / mandala piece from the Die Cut Ephemera pack in underneath the middle photo, then added a large star over the top (which I also bent up from the page). I chose the words super and silly from the Die Cut Titles pack and tacked them along the top of my photos. I then took to it with my sewing machine again, and added some lines of stitching over the top, before I added the word fun from the Clear Stickers pack underneath.


In amongst the banner pieces, I tucked in a couple of tickets and a small flag from the Die Cut Ephemera pack; then I added a couple of phrases stickers from the Accessory Sticker sheet along the bottom of the left photo. From the Clear Sticker set, I added two chevrons on either side of my photos to indicate a “swinging” motion and to help draw the viewer’s eye through.


At the top of my page I added some crazy, silly stitching in each of the top corners, then added a date label from the Accessory Sticker sheet to the right hand side. I finished off by adding a few paint splat Clear Stickers, and then a few splatters of black ink and I was done!

This was a really fun page to put together, (especially doing all that random wild sewing!) and I am really happy with the result. If you have a sewing machine but you aren’t confident sewing on a layout, then this type of project might be right for you because perfection is not necessary.

Thanks so much for stopping by today so I could share this with you. Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: