Sunday 6 December 2020

Ho Ho Ho | Scrap the Girls December Challenge


 Hi everyone!
Popping in today to share my take on the December challenge for Scrap the Girls, which (not surprisingly) just happens to have a bit of a festive theme. It's called "The Story of Christmas" and besides the overall theme, it features a colour palette and an inspirational image.

Here's a look at the board...


And here is my take on it, using the new 'Merry & Bright' Christmas collection from Cocoa Vanilla Studio...


The photo I was documenting was a photo of my daughter with Santa that I took last year. Yes, I know Santa isn't a girl, but we make a special exception to our "no boys" rule for Santa in this challenge. (So if you have any Santa photos with your girls, this is a great time to get them scrapped!)

I decided to use a mix of two patterned papers for my background - the tiny spots on the Happy Holidays paper, combined with the candy stripes of the Jingle All the Way paper. I also added some tearing and distressing for texture along the top join between the two. 


Next, I cut a couple of pieces of patterned paper from the A5 Paper Stack to create a double layered matt for my photo. I then added some frayed gauze before sticking my photo down on top.

With my photo in place, my plan was to embellish along a horizontal line on either side of the photo, right where the lower join between the two patterned papers was. For this, I wanted to use some of the gorgeous little gingerbread style houses from the range to form a bit of scene to frame the photo.


The two larger houses were both fussy cut from a couple of the new Pocket Cards, whilst the third smaller house was from the Die Cut Ephemera pack. I also used the Hey Santa card from the Pocket Card pack. I then extended the line of embellishments out further by adding two tags from the ephemera pack that I had tied with small pieces of twine. The final large piece I added was the Christmas tree, which I tucked in behind the house on the left side of the page.

With all of my main embellishments in place along the line, I then decided to add a little bit of extra colour using a light peach watercolour paint which I just gently painted in around edges of my embellishments.


For my title, I fussy cut the words Ho Ho Ho from another of the Pocket Cards and stuck it down above my photo. A few little touches to finish my page off included a die cut flower tucked in along the top join where I had folded back the paper and secured it with staples; a small die cut heart down near the bottom of the page; a stamped date; and my handwritten journalling. 

I am really happy with how this sweet layout turned out and I hope you will join us for this challenge. You can grab all the challenge details as well as see what else the design team created, on the Scrap the Girls blog HERE
Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: