Thursday 26 November 2020

Sweet | Cocoa Vanilla Studio


Hi everyone! Popping in today to share a recent design team project for Cocoa Vanilla Studio with you. I was recently tasked with scraplifting a layout that had been shared in the Cocoa Vanilla Studio Facebook Community group. The layout was an entry into the October "Spring Vibes" monthly challenge by Debra Beer, and looked like this...


Scraplifting is when you take a design from someone else and use it as the basis for your own page. This could range from copying the design in its entirety using the exact same materials; to simply using the page as inspiration and treating the bones of the page like a sketch, which is exactly what I did.

Here is my take on Debra's page using the 'Daydream' collection...


The first thing I decided when it came to creating my page, was that rather than a white cardstock background, I chose to use the Sun Shower patterned paper instead. I topped this with a piece of the Daisy Days paper to form the focal point of my page. I added extra texture to the paper by distressing the edges; and stuck some torn strips of washi tape under the top and bottom edges of it - just like Debra had also used washi tape on her page. I also added some frayed gauze for more texture.


On top of the Daisy Days paper, I added a small piece of the navy Up in the Clouds paper to help separate my unmatted photos a little from the busy floral print. For my photos, I also chose to go with both a portrait and landscape shot, just as the original page had. I also added a paper doily, but changed the position of it slightly to tuck under the left top corner of my photo and I also tucked in a circular frame from the Die Cut Ephemera pack. 


Just like Debra's original page, I wanted to embellish my layout using clusters of flowers. I fussy cut several pieces from the Garden Variety paper and combined them with some ephemera pieces to create three clusters to frame around my photos. I also added a couple of small phrase stickers to my page from the Accessory Sticker sheet.

I finished off by adding a Die Cut Title word along the bottom edge of my photo, then added some scattered sequins from the Sequins and Flowers pack instead of the enamel dots Debra had used. A few tiny splatters of black ink, my journalling, a stamped date and I was done!


Thanks so much to Debra for her inspiration - I really love how this page turned out! If you ever find yourself stuck for ideas, take a quick scroll through the CVS Facebook Community group and see all the gorgeous pages shared by the members there - you might find something to scraplift too. 
Please note: if you are going to copy the work of someone else, it is common courtesy to credit the original designer when sharing your page. A small mention of who inspired you is often enough to make someone else's day!

Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: