Wednesday 8 May 2019

Stop and Smell the Roses | Scrap the Girls May Challenge


Hi everyone!
Popping in today to share my take on the May challenge at Scrap the Girls, which happens to be a sketch challenge designed by ME! As Mothers Day falls in May, I decided to create something with a floral theme, and here's what I came up with...

"April Showers Bring May Flowers" sketch

Those that know my work probably already know I am not great at following a sketch (and as it turns out, not even my own! haha) I did follow the design somewhat though, I just shuffled the elements around a little to suit me. I DID hit the floral theme though. 


To create this page I began with a sheet of white cardstock that I cut down to measure 11x11". I knew I wanted to use the stop and smell the roses quote from the Paige Evans 'Take Me Away' collection as my page title, so I mixed some Mont Marte acrylic paint to match the grey of the quote background and applied it roughly to the cardstock using a brayer.


At the time of creating this, I also had some of the Cocoa Vanilla Studio free 'Happiness' cut files that had been freshly cut so I knew I wanted to include those too. (If you haven't got your hands on these fabulous digital files designed by Gwen Wruck yet, you can download them HERE. Alternatively, you can order them from Gwen at Cut to You, and she will cut and ship to your door!) I thought the white of the cut files would contrast well against the grey paint so I added the roses in diagonally opposing corners.


For the focal area of my page design, I again used a paper from the 'Take Me Away' collection and fussy cut some of the floral elements from it. I used two pieces on either side of my photos, before adding an extra piece along the bottom edge to mimic the one in the sketch. It didn't seem quite balanced though, so I also added a small piece in the top corner.


I couldn't resist using a few more pieces from the 'Happiness' cut file set, so I used the wreath to frame my photos, colouring it with some Distress Oxide before sticking it down. I also added 3 small hearts around the wreath, which I left white to coordinate with the roses. 
I then matted my cardstock onto a sheet of orange paper from the Paige Evans 'Whimsical' collection; before adding a scattering of sequins for a little sparkle.

I would love to see your interpretation of my sketch, so please come and play along with us at Scrap the Girls this month. Cut to You is sponsoring our Aussie prize, and (as always) the fabulous Scrap Accent is our international sponsor. If you would like some more inspiration, pop over and see what the rest of the team created with my sketch HERE

That's all from me today, thanks for stopping by. Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: