Friday 8 February 2019

Warrior Queen | Scrap the Girls February challenge


Hi everyone!
I hope you have all settled back into routine after the festive and holiday season. With the kids back to school here it's nice to get a bit of normality happening again. (Which means back to some regular creative time for me - yay!)

I am kicking off my design team shares this month with the February challenge at Scrap the Girls which is called "Warrior Queen" and looks like this...


There are different aspects of the board you can be inspired by - the colour palette; the quote; the image; or even the person pictured (Constance Hall). I drew on the visual aspects of the mood board to influence both my page design and my photo. I also received some goodies from one of this month's sponsors - Corbett Creations to include on my layout.

Here is what I came up with... 


I started this page with some heavy weight white cardstock, knowing I was going to be using mixed media on it. I used Colour Blast Colour Artist Inks for my background, using my favourite shades of Oasis, Slipper, Citrus and Cider to match the colour palette of the board. I applied them randomly around the central area of my page using a small brush, doing one at a time and then tilting the page up vertically to allow the colours to run down.


Once I had all the inks down, I moved onto creating some layers to go under my photo. I am still determined to bust some of my stash, so I dug out some really old Echo Park and My Little Shoebox patterned papers and die cuts and stacked them on the page randomly, securing the pile with staples to hold it in place. I also used up lots of old coordinating stickers and used them to add extra layers.    


Next, I found a Crate Paper chipboard frame to frame my photo but was disappointed to find that my photo was too narrow to fit. Never fear - washi tape to the rescue! I added some gold diagonal striped washi down each side of my photo, which allowed it to blend in with the gold edging of the frame, then a couple of smaller ripped pieces onto the frame to tie it all together. I then added it onto the paper layers I had on the page. 

For my title I used the "warrior queen" wood veneer which was kindly supplied by Corbett Creations. To alter it I simply painted it with Dina Wakley 'Peacock' acrylic paint and then adhered it on top of a speech bubble shaped die cut. 
Included in my pack from Corbett Creations, was also the pink acrylic lips, which I stuck onto the frame. This tied in perfectly with the just be happy sentiment I had added to my page. 


To finish off my page I added a few more stickers, including some chipboard ones (that really weren't even sticky anymore so I had to use glue), and a heap of enamel dots. (I really need to stop hoarding these things! LOL) I also added a few stamped sentiments and splattered some Colour Blast 'Lagoon' Colour Spray around the page. 

I was really happy how this page turned out - full of fun and colour! I hope you will join in with our "Warrior Queen" challenge this month. We have prizes up for grabs from both Cocoa Vanilla Studio and Corbett Creations for our Australian entrants, and from Scrap Accent for our international entrants. You can find all the details, plus lots more inspiration from the design team over on the STG blog HERE
Until next time, happy scrapping! X