Monday 20 December 2021

Magical Moments | Cocoa Vanilla Studio

 


Hi everyone, popping in today to share my latest Cocoa Vanilla Studio design team project with you. Today I was tasked with creating something inspired by the current monthly challenge, which is this beautiful Christmas themed mood board designed by Tarrah…


This is the second layout I have created based on this mood board, and this time I was inspired by the little trees and stars to tell the story of our annual family tradition of placing the star atop our Christmas tree. The photos I was documenting were taken in 2020, and are of my son Hunter putting the star on. I was working with the ‘Joyful’ collection, and once again I decided to create a mixed media layout (because I love getting messy!)

Here is my page…

You can probably spot right away that my colour palette for this layout was dictated by my photos – with the predominant tones of green and gold at the forefront from our Christmas tree.

I began with my background – working on a sheet of white cardstock I had cut down to 11×11″, I used Rustic Wilderness Distress Oxide mixed with water to create a water wash across the page. I then added darker splatters using the same ink (just with less water added); stamped some large stars in black ink; and then finished with gold splatters. It was a fairly straightforward background.


With the background complete, it was time to work on creating some papery layers. The first paper I chose was the Kraft / gold coloured paper with the words merry & bright from the A5 Paper Stack. I tore a sheet of this and used it as my anchor piece. On top of it I added a horizontal strip of the Deck the Halls paper and also the border strip from the Very Merry cut apart paper that had the little Christmas trees on it. I used my distress tool to distress the edges of all the pieces before I stapled them together, adding a small white paper doily and some frayed gauze for texture.


I added my photos on top (which had been popped up with a little scrap cardboard), then turned to the embellishments. I already had the Die Cut Ephemera pack out open on my desk, so that was where I started. I first rifled through them and pulled out a few pieces that I thought could work with my colour scheme. (It makes it much easier than shuffling through the entire pack for every piece you want.)


Using the pieces I had pulled from the ephemera pack, I created small cluster above my photos containing a Christmas tree, the memories tab, and a small sprig of holly; and to the left I tucked in the gorgeous little deer. (Not only was it a perfect match for the colours on the page, but I just love how cute it is!) To the right of my photos I added a little flag that read joyful.


From the Chipboard Stickers sheet I chose the banner that read jingle all the way in beautiful gold foiled script, to stick along the bottom edge of my photo. I also added a few gold foiled stars around the page.


Below my photos I added one of the smaller sized Wood Epoxy Buttons, and then I used the gorgeous Puffy Gold Title Stickers to add my title. From the same sheet I also added a few extra gold scattered stars because I couldn’t resist more of that stunning gold!


I then added a stamped date, a few stamped phrases, and typed strip journalling and my layout was done! I love how it all came together with the colours, the layers and the texture, and I am so happy I have documented this story for my family.

If you would like to see exactly how I put it together, you can watch my process video here:


Thanks so much for stopping by today, don’t forget you have until the end of the month to enter this challenge via the Cocoa Vanilla Studio Community group. You could be the lucky winner of a $25 store voucher.

I’ll have a matching pocket page for this layout to share next week, until then I hope you all have a safe, happy and enjoyable time with your family and friends over the holiday period. Merry Christmas! X

No comments: