Tuesday 7 December 2021

Joy | Cocoa Vanilla Studio

 


Hi everyone, popping in today with a new project to share with you. This layout was created for Cocoa Vanilla Studio using the gorgeous new ‘Joyful’ collection, and was inspired by the December monthly challenge. First, here’s a look at the “Bells & Baubles” mood board designed by my fellow DT member Tarrah…


The image from the mood board that caught my eye was the one in the top right corner, with the pretty Christmas cookies. It immediately reminded me of making cookies with my kids, a tradition we do together every Christmas. I decided to document a photo of my son that I took last year with one of the cookies he made.


For my layout I wanted to create a mixed media page, so I started with 300gsm white cardstock and some Distress Oxides. I layered blue (Speckled Egg) and green (Rustic Wilderness), then used modelling paste to add some small stencilled stars over the top with a StencilGirl stencil. Next, I used another Distress Oxide (Worn Lipstick) to add small pink splatters, then stamped some tiny stars using a rubber stamp from Viva Las VegaStamps and black ink. I finished off with some big splatters of gold Heidi Swapp Color Shine, and set it aside to dry.


Once my background was dry I cut the cardstock down to measure 11×11″ so I could mount it onto some patterned paper. I chose the B side of the Deck the Halls paper, which is a soft green and features small stars on it. I cut away the centre portion of the paper so it wasn’t wasted, then mounted the cardstock on it to form a border.


I immediately used the centre piece  had just cut away to create a mat for my photo, adding a torn edge down one side for texture. I then chose a few other small pieces of patterned paper (most from the A5 Paper Stack), which I cut and tore into various shapes, then stacked together to form more layers behind my photo. I also tucked in half of a white lace doily before securing it all together with staples. (This enabled me to move the entire stack as a whole piece without dislodging any of the pieces.) On top of my stack I added some frayed gauze for soft texture, then finally, my photo on top.


For the embellishments, I started with the Chipboard Stickers, choosing the gold foiled word JOY as my page title. From the same pack I also selected the small oh what fun! flag piece, which I affixed in the top corner of my photo; and the family traditions banner, which I stuck along the bottom edge of my photo.


From the Die Cut Ephemera pack I chose the green stocking and candy cane, when I layered together below my photo. Above my photo I added a little present and a small sprig of holly. I also chose a circular frame from the ephemera pack, which I cut in half and tucked into my layers on either side of my photo.

Scattered around my page, I added some large stars, which were fussy cut from the Making Spirits Bright paper. (These tied in beautifully with my photo and the star theme I had established with the stamping and stencilling.)


I finished my page by adding yet another variety of star – the pretty puffy gold ones from the Puffy Gold Title Stickers. (These are SO gorgeous!) I then added some stamped phrases and the date, and some black ink splatters.

If you would like to see exactly how it all came together, you can watch my process video below:


I have a bonus pocket page that I created as a companion page to this layout. I’ll be sharing it over in the Cocoa Vanilla Studio Community group next week and then here some time after that, so keep your eye out for it. In the meantime, I would love to see you play along with our December challenge, entries close December 31st.

Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: