Wednesday 25 August 2021

Life is a Blank Canvas | Cocoa Vanilla Studio

 


Hi everyone, today I am sharing another layout created for Cocoa Vanilla Studio, this time for the August monthly challenge. This challenge was actually designed by me, and I think almost everyone will be able to find an element to inspire them from the board, whatever your style.

Here's a look at the board, entitled "Life is a Canvas"...


And here is my sample layout...


I really love the mix of eclectic images that I put together for this arty board. There are lots of rich, vibrant jewel tones; textures like brick and wood; and (of course) a butterfly. I did a bit of stash-busting for this page, and used the Wild at Heart collection from a few years ago, as I thought the colours and theme of this collection worked well with the board. The photo I was working with was one of my daughter with paint smeared on her face. 


I started my page by creating a mixed media background using Distress Oxides. I used Faded Jeans first (one of my very favourite oxide colours), by swiping the ink pad on my messy mat, mixing it with a little water, and then laying my cardstock over the top to soak up the colour. I then layered some Worn Lipstick over the top, which I applied using the packaging technique to give me a little more control over the placement of the colour. I then added some splatters using Mustard Seed and a fine paint brush.


Next, I added some stencilled detail using an arty themed stencil from Dusty Attic. Again, I used the Faded Jeans Distress Oxide, only this time I used a sponge to apply it through the stencil. For my next layer, I added some stamped detail over the top using a brick pattern stencil from Viva Las VegaStamps and black ink.


The next element I introduced to my page was a cut file from Cut to You. The cut file I used was the Craft a Happy Life page builder file, and I altered it by enlarging it and only using part of the design (the paint brushes) for my layout. I left the cut file white, and layered it over my mixed media background, which allowed the layers to show through the gaps. 


Then came the easiest part, which was adding some layers of patterned papers to mat my photo, some frayed gauze, a paper doily, and then the photo itself. I also fussy cut some floral pieces from another patterned paper that I used to tuck into my layers above and below my photo. I also added three fussy cut butterflies.

For my title, I used the new 'These Days' foam title stickers for the word life and some other small alphas from my stash for the remainder, then finished off the quote with typed strip journaling. 


I finished off my layout by using the same Distress Oxides and a water brush to add some colour to the tips of the cut file paint brushes; and by adding a few sparkly enamel dots. 

I would love to see your take on my mood board! Entries close 31st August and you can enter via the Cocoa Vanilla Studio Community group. A random entry will win a $25 voucher to spend in the Cocoa Vanilla store on some scrappy goodness, so get busy!
Until next time, happy scrapping! X 


No comments: