Sunday 9 August 2020

Celebrate Today | Scrap the Girls August Challenge


Hi everyone,
Today I am here to share my take on the August challenge for Scrap the Girls. This month the challenge is called "Open Your Heart" and is based on this sweet inspiration image...


I started by drawing on the heart / love theme from the image and decided to document some photos of my daughter that I took on Valentine's Day. She had come home from school with a beaming smile because she had received a red rose from a "secret admirer". 


I used the colours of the image as a guide to my palette, choosing the blue that was dominant in the picture as the primary colour for my background, with a little green thrown in. I used Distress Oxides to first create a watercolour style background. I then used a gorgeous StencilGirl floral stencil called 'Rose Bouquet' along with Vicki Boutin Iridescent Glaze to add subtle texture to the page and tie in the nature aspect of the inspiration image. 


Once the background layers were dry, it was time to add some paper layers. I wanted something bright and fun to go with the strong colours of my daughter's uniform so I reached for the Vicki Boutin 'Color Kaleidoscope' collection. I cut and tore a variety of pieces and stacked them together to form my photo mat.


I loved the pop of red of the heart in the image, so I added a small red paper doily on top of the paper stack before placing my photos on top. I also tore some small pieces pieces of navy washi tape that featured small gold hearts, and added them for a bit of contrast. 


Next, it was time to add some embellishments. In the interests of keeping things simple, I decided to use a couple of Vicki Boutin ephemera pieces and stickers so that they would coordinate effortlessly. I also used some matching hearts that I fussy cut from one of the VB papers.


To finish off my page I added some small black ink splatters and a simple stamped word look using one of the roller stamps from my stash. I then added my handwritten journalling and I was done. 


I would love for you to join in on our challenge at Scrap the Girls this month. We have Flutterby Designs on board as our Aussie sponsor this month, and our regular international sponsor of Tanya Leigh Designz. Pop over to the blog post HERE for more details or to see what the rest of the team created. 
Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: