Monday 22 July 2019

"Stars & Stripes" Traveler's Notebook Spreads | Cocoa Vanilla Studio


Hi everyone! Back again with another share for you.This time, it's some traveler's notebook pages that I created recently for Cocoa Vanilla Studio as part of the "Stars or Stripes" theme that the DT were challenged with.

I decided to take the opportunity to create these TN spreads, as I have recently been working to getting more stories documented for my children. Each of my kids have their own books, and the focus of these is to use of some of the "extra" photos that don't make it onto layouts. (I have found searching through my Facebook timeline to be a valuable resource for this, as I have often shared funny stories of things they have done or said. The fact I am also able to access an accompanying photo and the date it happened makes the whole process so much easier.)




I tend to have a "go to" formula when creating these spreads. I choose a patterned paper first (in this case the Galactic paper), then cut a piece and stick it either side of the spine so that it carries across both pages. I don't necessarily use both pages for the same story, but try to choose photos that will work with the colours. (Here, the red of his shirts that meant these two memories could share a spread.) I also pre-print out my journalling and cut it out.


Once the paper is in place and I have decided roughly where my photos and journalling will go, it is simply a matter of filling the space with a variety of embellishments. Due to the nature of these books, I usually stick with flat things, such as die cut ephemera, stickers and cut apart papers. (I have found this is a great way to use up some of those left-overs you have.)

For my second spread (which documented a range of funny reasons my toddler son cried); I again used the 'You Rock' collection, this time starting with the wood grain print of the Plus One paper as it featured vertical "stripes".


I didn't have a photo of my son actually crying during any of these moments, so just used a photo of him (and his twin brother) that was taken during the same month. To decorate my spread I used a variety of Die Cut Ephemera pieces and some Accessory Stickers. In keeping with the theme, I also added two strips of the star print Washi Tape Stickers down the sides.


That die cut "everything is better when you're laughing" was perfect for this spread, because I certainly laughed at the time!

For my third spread, I decided to bust some stash - going all the way back to the 'Flying High' collection. As this page was documenting some of the reasons my other son had cried, I simply used the same photo I had on his brother's spread; then chose a different story that worked with the colour scheme for the opposing page.


I started with a piece of the Little Star paper and a scrap of the Flight Path paper, which were both perfect for the "Stars & Stripes" theme. (I even stuck with an American red, white and blue palette for this spread.) To embellish my page I only used stickers from the 'Flying High' 12x12" Accessory Sticker sheet and then finished off with some felt pens and a date stamp.


Thanks so much for stopping by today so I could share these with you. If you have been thinking about trying this style of memory keeping I would encourage you to do so - it's a great way to document some of those "extra" photos and stories and a great way to use up scraps too.
Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: