Thursday 11 January 2018

Bad Day | Scrap the Girls January Challenge


Hi everyone!
Time to share another design team layout with you, and this time it's my take on the January challenge for Scrap the Girls. This month's board is called "I Got the Blues" and it looks like this...


As you can see it's full of gorgeous, glorious shades of blue; which is where my initial inspiration came from. My second point of inspiration came from the title of the board, which made me think of sadness. The quote from the board had me determined to document something that told a story, so I decided to do a page about the day Brielle broke her arm (which definitely checked all the boxes).


To create my page I started with the background. I used Colour Blast Colour Shimmer Dusts in Duke and Navy to apply colour to the top of the page with a brush and then simply let it run down. (I wanted this to symbolise the tears she shed that day.)


Once the watercolour had dried, I added some stamping using stamps from Viva Las VegaStamps. The small crosses are from Plate 1495, which has an amazing array of mark making designs that are perfect for backgrounds by DeeDee Catron. The large crosses and the stitching (which I used to represent a heartbeat) are from Plate 1455 which also features awesome textures and marks.


Next, I created a layered mat to define where my photo collage was going to be placed. I used some printed vellum from the Cocoa Vanilla Studio 'Wild at Heart' collection, along with a floral patterned paper from the 'Hello Sunshine' collection. The chipboard frame (also from 'Wild at Heart') was cut in half and placed on either side of the photos; and I also added some frayed gauze for added texture.


After my photo collage was in place, I added the unforgettable sticker (from the 'Hello Sunshine' accessory sticker sheet); then below it I added a denim heart from Charms Creations. The three small black word circles were from a Heidi Swapp ephemera pack.


The stitched denim print alphas I used for my title were also from the CVS 'Hello Sunshine' collection. (I so love these stickers!) Then it was simply a matter of adding my handwritten journaling (not that this story took too much explanation), and I was done.


I hope you will get a chance to join in with this month's Scrap the Girls challenge. You can be inspired by the board in any way you wish (just remember as this is a colour challenge you will need to use blue somewhere!) You can head over to the STG blog for all the challenge and prize details and see what else the DT created HERE.
I will be back with another project to share soon. Until then, happy scrapping! X

No comments: