Monday 11 September 2017

Happy Hair Day | Scrap the Girls September Challenge

Hi everyone! So many fabulous challenges around this month, and I am here today to share my take on the Scrap the Girls September challenge. This month it's a sketch called "Dear John" (that was actually designed by me!)
Here it is...


And here is the layout I created inspired by the sketch...

"Happy Hair Day"

I sat down to create this page with some white cardstock and the two photos I planned to use in front of me. I wanted to try and stick to the basic layout of the sketch, with the three focal points for my design. Beyond that I had no real plan; I just let the colours and textures in the photos guide me as I went along.


I started by adding some mixed media to define the three focal points. First, some stamping using my brick wall stamp from Viva Las VegaStamps to mimic the brick wall background. I then added some colour using Colour Blast Colour Shimmer Cubes (a mix of Sienna, Leather and Steel); as well as a few smears of Colour Paste (Sienna and Bling) which I applied with a palette knife. I also added a few torn strips of washi tape.


Next, it was time to start adding some layers and dimension. I created a mat for my photos to sit on using a number of items from D-lish Scraps - grey paper doilies; a kraft printed bitty bag; dip dye tag tied with twine; wood veneer frame and some coloured wire. I also added a Charms Creations DIY heart, which I stamped and then coloured to match my background using my Sienna and Bling Colour Shimmer Cubes.


Next, I worked on the focal point in the top corner, which (like the sketch), was where my title was going to go. I again used some paper doily and coloured wire (just as I had in the main area of my page); and I also added the Flutterby Designs #happy wood veneer and Cocoa Vanilla Studio 'Totally Rad' alphabet stickers to complete my title.


To keep my design elements cohesive, I added a small wood veneer arrow to the third, and smallest, focal point on my page; then added a phrase to each cluster using Cocoa Vanilla Studio 'Wild at Heart' accessory stickers.


To finish off, I added some handwritten journaling, stamped the date, and splattered some Colour Blast 'Sienna' Colour Shimmer Spray and 'Coffee' Colour Spray. I am really happy with how this page came out - the tones I used worked perfectly with the photos.

If you would like to play along with this month's challenge at Scrap the Girls (please do - I would love to see how you interpret my sketch!) you have until the end of the month to link up your entry and be in the running for a prize from Kitaholics Kits or D-lish Scraps.
Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: