Wednesday 5 April 2017

Dream Big | Scrap the Girls April Challenge

Hi all! Just popping in today to share my design team layout for this month's mood board challenge at Scrap the Girls. The board is called "Sea Glass" and looks like this...


And here's my take on it, featuring a photo of my gorgeous girl I took back in January...

"Dream Big"

Besides using the colours from the board, I took a few other things for inspiration - the wave, which made me want to create a mixed media background with blended colours; the sand, which prompted me to include a bit of sand colour on my layout; and the heart, which I replicated through the use of hearts on my layout.


My background was created using Colour Blast products. First, I layed down a coat of White Heavy Gesso, using an old gift card (as I find this gives a good, thin, even coverage). I then applied Colour Shimmer Sprays (Deep Water and Apple of My Eye), which I tilted and allowed to run together. Once dry, I used a stencil by The Crafters Workshop to apply some Snow White Colour Paste to give my background some texture.


I took the opportunity to do some more stash-busting on this layout, using up a number of items from my cupboard including chipboard pieces from Imaginarium Designs; Heidi Swapp acetate hearts; Kaisercraft ephemera; and a Project Life card (fussy cut for my title). I even used a sheet of coloured cardstock (yay me!)


To alter my chipboard pieces, I applied a coat of the Heavy White Gesso and allowed it to dry; then applied Colour Blast Colour Mica Powder (Cool Mint) to select areas using a waterbrush dipped directly into the pot.


You can see in the corner of my photo how I used the Charms Creations heart as the basis for my cluster; layering it on top of an ephemera piece, then pushing a couple of pins into it, and topping with some messy cotton thread and the D-lish Scraps flair button.


I finished off my layout by splattering around some more of the Shimmer Sprays; adding some stamping and lots of Cocoa Vanilla Studio sequins. (Because you can never have too much pretty sparkle, right?!)

That's all from me for today. Make sure you stop by the Scrap the Girls blog to see what the rest of the design team have created for this challenge and to check out this month's prize details.
Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: