Friday 5 October 2018

Embrace the Mess | Scrap the Girls October Challenge


Hi everyone!
Have you seen the October mood board challenge at Scrap the Girls yet? It's an absolute cracker (and totally up my alley!) The board is called "Fighter" and it looks like this...


There were so many elements of this board that inspired me - the colours; the florals in the dress; the lips; the theme of self empowerment; and that glorious image of the skeletal hand flipping the bird...totally me, right?! I had the perfect SnapChat photos up my sleeve for this one, and the perfect collection in Cocoa Vanilla Studio's 'Bohemian Dream' to go with them!

Here's the layout I created...


I used the gorgeous ombre pattern on the reverse side of the 'Abstract' patterned paper as my layout base. To create my focal area across the middle of my page, I added a large piece of the main side of the 'Abstract' paper. I also added two strips of the striped 'Dreamer' paper above and below it, to add some definition.


Once I had the basic structure of my page down, I decided where my photos were going to be placed. As the background was already busy enough, and because my photos were printed with borders I chose not to add a layered mat for them as I would usually do and I stuck them straight down on the page.


At this point my page was dominated by straight lines (and if you know me, straight is not my usual jam); so I wanted to add some elements to break them up. I chose the miniature version of the wild looking 'Kaleidoscope' paper from the 6x6" paper pad, and I fussy cut around the main pattern. I then cut it in half and placed half under the top edge of the blue striped paper, and the other half under the bottom piece. Now my page was starting to take on some messy character!


Next, it was time to bring in the floral element. I fussy cut three floral pieces from the stunning 'Abundant' paper and tucked them in under the edges of my photos to form a visual triangle, adhering them with foam tape to mount them up from the page. I then fussy cut my title quote from the 'Boho Bits' paper and added it to my page also using foam tape.


I couldn't resist adding a couple of small embellishments directly onto my photos. I used the small be yourself banner from the accessory sticker sheet; and the wild child flair button from the flair button pack.
I felt that my page needed a little extra "something" at the top, so I used the one of a kind sticker and cut off the edge of it so it would align straight along the top of the page and adhered it with foam tape.


Now all my page needed to be complete was some mess! I used my Stabilo All pencil to add some scribbled shadows under the edges of my floral pieces and then used a water brush to smudge them slightly. I added a few more random scribbles and lines around my page as well. To finish off, I added some splatters of Colour Blast 'Soot' Colour Artist Ink using a small brush. 


That's all from me today. Thanks for stopping by so I could share this with you. I hope you will join in with this month's challenge at Scrap the Girls. We have THREE fabulous sponsors this month - Corbett Creations and Cut To You for our Aussie winners, and of course, Accent Scrapbooking for our international winner too. You have until the end of the month to get your entries in, so get busy!
Until next time, happy scrapping! X

2 comments:

Lainie said...

Flippen gorgeous!

Sue Plumb said...

Thanks so much Lainie! X