Tuesday 1 February 2011

1st month = new challenge day!

If you are anything like me, you get a little excited about the first of the month, because it means brand new challenges on all your favourite sites! :-)
Scrapbooking Top 50 has 3 monthly challenges each month - one from each member of the DT. My challenge to everyone this month is a technique challenge...handmade titles! As well as creating a title, you will also need to include a page border and a flourish. Here is my sample LO...


The border was created using washi tape ripped into small pieces and layered, then machine stitched over the top. Thanks to Chloe for inspiring me to use the white pen on the chippie (I told you I would borrow that idea!) The title alphas were created using Jac paper and denim fabric and I am pretty happy with the result. I'm looking forward to trying it with some other fabrics / templates now!

To create the alphas, I laid the denim face down, then simply peeled one side of the backing from the Jac paper and adhered on top...


I used some old chippie alphas as a template and used a white gel pen to trace around them...


Then I simply cut them out (scissors work better than a knife with denim because of how thick the fabric is) and once cut, I re-traced around the outer edge with white gel pen to define them...


And there you have it, some very cool denim alphas!


If you are wondering where to get your hands on some Jac paper, pop over to Handmade By Suzanne and pick some up! Its really versatile, and can be used with fabric, glitter, beads and even in die cut machines. :-)

10 comments:

Anne P said...

TOTALLY Love your idea with the denim letters. They look so good and what a great use of Jack Paper.... thinking caps on here :) Aren't the first of the month so fun... :)

Jasmine S said...

Loving those alphas. Great great idea. This is a fab fab LO. Cannot believe how great this looks and DS's flag is perfect. The chippy bits, the button, the tag etc. Love it. And yep, love love first day of the month. That's why I will be on the computer most of the day....I will still be tending to the kids, I promise.

Paula said...

Brilliant 'Aussie' layout...absolutely love those demin alphas, very clever! :)

Kim said...

owowowoowow you never cease to amze me with your ideas! totally totally COOL!!!!!!

bappleicious said...

What an amazing LO - love the denim alphas

Marelize said...

I totally adore this layout Sue. Great idea with the alphas! :)

Unknown said...

Those denim alphas are fantastic. Might have to steal that iddea myself. Fab layout Sue

Heather Jacob said...

wow those denim alphas are spectacular ... love your style.. I am a follower now and I'll be back, hugz x

Alison said...

Yep, I love the beginning of the month too! Your alphas are very cool and I really love how you used the tape to make your frame - that's something I need to steal :)

Jullene Karl said...

I love the use of fabric in a layout. So funky to use the denim as alphas. Im following you now so I will add you to my stalker list